Becoming the master gardener of four seaside acres is no easy task, but every day Cynthia Hosmer carefully cultivates the fruit trees, flowers, shrubs, and vegetable patches that are her family legacy.
Roots run deep here—an English family first settled the property in 1638. (Their burial ground still sits among the lilacs.) When Calvin and Marion Hosmer bought the land in 1948, they built a Georgian-style stone house and designed 4 acres of garden around it. Marion deftly sculpted the grounds for 45 years until her death in 1997, when her son and daughter-in-law, Calvin and Cynthia Hosmer, continued her work.