Make the most of nooks and crannies.
• Use built-ins to minimize the need for excessfurniture.
• Work with an architect to take advantage of potentiallywasted space and create storage for electronics, laundry, toys, andclothing.
• Choose an open floor plan for easy traffic flow.
• Splurge on windows. Rooms seem larger when natural lightstreams in from all sides.
• Go for neutral tones and coordinating colors to give theillusion of more space.
• Ensure privacy despite close quarters. In the sharedbath, a door closes off the toilet, while a large, troughlike sinkwith two fixtures offers space enough for everyone.
• Fill in nooks and crannies. A home office and a closetmake use of low eaves in the master bedroom.
• Expand living areas to the outdoors with porches,patios, and plenty of seating areas.