We asked New York designer John Loecke to accept our first-ever seashore craft challenge: To create holiday decorations using shells, spray paint, and a glue gun.
1. Cut florist wire into 4-inch pieces.
2. Make a knot at the bottom of the wire.
3. Thread Tutti Frutti Colored Clam Beads (seashellcity.com) onto wire, then twist remaining wire around branch to secure.
1. Cut twine into 15-inch pieces.
2. Knot twine around three to four pieces of found sea glass (also available at seashellcity.com), starting with the smallest at the top and working to other end.
3. Secure glass to twine with small dabs of hot glue.
4. Tie twine to branches.
1. Purchase small, medium, and large abalone shells (seashellcity.com).
2. Cut florist wire into 10-inch pieces.
3. Holding the wire vertically, slide the smallest shell to the top, securing in place by threading the bottom end of the wire through a nearby hole.
4. Repeat with a medium-size shell (securing it in the middle of the wire) and then a large shell (at the bottom).
Tip: No drilling required! Holes appear naturally along the shell’s edges.