Known for combining contemporary and classic elements to create timeless style, Nina Liddle offers design advice and five inspiring products.
What are the most essential pieces of furniture in a beach home?
NL: A really large dining table surrounded by comfortable chairs. It invites friends and family to gather and linger over meals for hours.
How do you mix patterned fabrics in a room without it appearing busy?
NL: I make sure there is at least one similar color between them, and bring in something in a solid, as well.
How do you create a calming bedroom?
NL: Lighting is key. I always put dimmers on bedside lamps to create a more subdued atmosphere.
Is there a foolproof formula for great-looking bedding?
NL: Use white sheets and covers—they are easy to toss in the wash with a little bleach—and then add gorgeous, colorful pillows and a complementary throw.
What's your top pick for storage?
NL: By the beach it's important to install plenty of hooks. Wet towels and bathing suits need a place to hang.
What's popular in beach houses now?
NL: I find that people are asking for a finished lower level where the kids can congregate at night. Ping-Pong tables and pool tables make great additions.
1. Sweet Dreams (pictured left): "I love mixing Bohemian-style prints with contemporary furniture." John Robshaw Textiles Kishore Duvet, from $360, and Euros and Shams, from $85; johnrobshaw.com
2. Luxe Light (pictured left): "Chandeliers bring a touch of glamour to a more relaxed space." Ro Sham Beaux Carmen Chandelier in Brass, $3,120; ro-sham-beaux.com
3. Fine Fabric: "This is one of my favorite color combinations." Christopher Farr Cloth Fathom Fabric in Hot Pink, available to the trade; christopherfarrcloth.com
4. Playful Packyderm (pictured left): "It's a fun accent piece that can work just about anywhere." Serena & Lily Ellie Side Table, $150; serenaandlily.com
5. Bold Beads: "These malas bring positive energy and are handmade on Nantucket." Clay Twombly Amazonite Mala, $150; claytwombly.com