Photo: Tria Giovan
From her offices in Nantucket and Westport, Connecticut, designer Trudy Dujardin dishes on decor details that leave a lasting impression.
What color would you suggest to bring interest to a ceiling?
TD: Slate blue looks great with taupe walls and white trim. I love Benjamin Moore's In Your Eyes. It's very pale, so it makes the ceiling appear to recede.
What's the ideal rug for sandy feet?
TD: The new polypropylene indoor/outdoor rugs from Stark Carpet look just like sisal. They are water repellant and washable; I've used them on porches and in pool houses.
What are some alternatives to traditional window treatments?
TD: I like plantation shutters in white! They give a beachy yet tailored look. Shutters rarely need changing and are easy to clean with a quick wipe-down.
Overhead lighting or table lamps?
TD: Overhead lighting can be harsh, so it isn't very flattering. Table lamps create subtle ambient light. Vaughan Designs in New York has fabulous designs that are very versatile.
How do you capture a sense of classic New England style?
TD: I use white beaded-board wain-scoting a lot—it's a very traditional look in historic Nantucket homes. I like to keep the height at about 36 to 42 inches.
We asked Dujardin to share the products and places she's loving right now.
- Organic Sheets (pictured above). "Coyuchi has sets in plenty of patterns and colors, and they're all wonderful." 220 Percale Sheets, from $170 (twin); coyuchi.com
- Green Cleaners. "I love Seventh Generation products. I don't want a lot of chemicals in my home." Dujardin loves Seventh Generation All-purpose Natural Cleaner, $3.50; seventhgeneration.com for retailers
- Palazzo Avino. "My husband and I stayed here on our honeymoon in Ravello, Italy—heaven on Earth!" Rates from $375; palazzoavino.com
- Cashmere Throws (pictured above). "Nantucket Looms on Main Street in Nantucket does all of its weaving on site. They feel just like satin." Cashmere and Silk Throw in Sky Blue, $1,200; nantucketlooms.com
- Design Book (pictured above). "It's like my bible—one of those iconic books you keep in your library forever." Billy Baldwin: The Great American Decorator by Adam Lewis, $65; rizzoliusa.com for retailers