Create a relaxing retreat for guests with designer Thom Filicia's tips and our must-have picks.
We asked designer and gifted host Thom Filicia for the best ways to outfit a guest room with a warm welcome.
Provide bedding options. “Put a light-weight cotton coverlet, a down duvet, and a wool or cashmere throw on the bed so guests have choices.”
Ditch the luggage stand. “Think of what a hotel offers, but then execute it in a less commercial way: Use an ottoman or bench for suitcases, which will make the room feel less like a hotel.”
A home on the coast is sure to attract many visitors. Here's how to outfit your guest room for maximum comfort and beauty.
1. Wisteria Bubble Glass Ball Lamp, $249
3. Williams-Sonoma Cane Embroidery Pillow Cases and Euro Shams in Coral, $89 to $119
5. Vie Luxe St. Barth’s Candle, $48
6. Kassatex Du Cap Bath Towels in White, $13 to $40
7. Roberta Roller Rabbit Quilt Jena in Orange, $225 (queen)
8. Lee Industries Bench Ottoman in Riva Poppy, $1,150
9. Calvin Klein Portland Rug in Admiral, $1,099 (7'9" by 10'10")
10. Stanley Furniture Coastal Living Retreat Bedside Table in Saltbox White, $893
11. The Container Store Natural Lined Makati Baskets, $30 (small) and $35 (large)
12. Juliska Isabella Bedside Carafe Set, $135
13. West Elm Organic Shaped Basic Bowls, $24 for a set of four
Nod to tropical style with pillowcases and shams embroidered with a delicate cane pattern inspired by traditional wickerwork.
Williams-Sonoma Cane Embroidery Pillow Cases and Euro Shams in Coral, $89 to $119
Sleek lines and turned legs evoke classic cottage style, while a painted white finish helps to brighten up the room.
Stanley Furniture Coastal Living Retreat Bedside Table in Saltbox White, $893
These pristine, glossy white porcelain bowls are lightly stretched to form an organic shape that's not perfectly rounded.
West Elm Organic Shaped Basic Bowls, $24 for a set of four