Before hitting the beach, make a "pet stop" to one of these 10 coastal stores that cater to canines.
Coastal Pet Stores:
1. Pets Fifth Avenue: Boutique for Dogs & Cats, 130 Scenic Gulf Drive Suite 6, Destin, Florida
Jazz up your pup with jewel-encrusted collars, stylishbathing suits, sunglasses, and designer pet apparel from Pets FifthAvenue. Only minutes from the beach, this upscale boutique offersedible treats in addition to fabulous beach accessories. Visitpetsfifthave.com or call 850/837-5551.
2. Bark Avenue, 148-B Market Street, Village of Baytowne Wharf, Sandestin,Florida
Create a luxurious beach experience for your dog at BarkAvenue. Choose from tropical dog polos and bikinis or stylish palmtree-patterned carriers. Prices range from $2 to $3,200. Visitbarkavenue.com or call 850/351-1851.
3. Outer Barks, Duck, North Carolina, Osprey Landing Shops
Overlooking the Currituck Sound, just steps from the shore,this shop specializes in unique items-from lifejackets and floatingtoys for your pup to paw-print glassware and artwork for yourself.Stop in for doggie daiquiris during late-afternoon "yappy hour."Visit outerbarks.com or call 252/261-6279.
4. The Pampered Pup, 119 Datura Street, West Palm Beach, and 4550 PGA Boulevard Suite109, Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
Treat your pet to a new wardrobe before hitting the coast.Hawaiian-print shirts, nautical collars, and life jackets may notbe beach necessities, but they certainly keep your pup fashionable.Visit thepamperedpup.com or call the West Palm Beach location at561/833-9948 or the Palm Beach Gardens location at561/625-8088.
5. The Doggy Bag, 34904 Emerald Coast Parkway Suite 126, Destin, Florida
Mix holistic dog treats with swanky pet apparel and you havethis upscale pet boutique only blocks from the beach. Call850/837-9833 for more information.
6. The Dog Bar, 723 N. Lincoln Lane, Miami Beach, Florida
Doggie tank tops, sun visors, even "beach boy" and "beachgirl" T-shirts are available at The Dog Bar. The brightly coloredBettie Fetch Toys ($17.99) will keep you and your dog playing forhours. Visit dogbar.com or call the Miami Beach location at305/532-5654 or Coral Gables' at 305/441-8979.
7. Muttropolis, 227 South Cedros Avenue, Solana Beach, California
As the dog days of summer approach, choose from Palm BeachT-shirts ($36-$39) and Island Fun Dog Toys ($20) to keep your poochcute at the coast. Visit muttropolis.com or call 858/755-3647.
8. Pawki's Pet Boutique, 109 N. Beach Road, Eastsound, Washington
Stop in for fun beach toys by Ruff Wear and patternedfloating toys by Katie's Bumpers. Don't forget to grab a gourmetdog treat for Fido on your way out. Visit pawkis.com or call360/376-3648.
9. Salty Paws Biscuits, 3723 N. Croatan Highway, Kitty Hawk, North Carolina
After a long day at the beach, reward your pup with aLolli-PAWps ($1.25), or choose from an assortment of homemade dogtreats. Beach items such as Water Loopies ($8.99-$10.99) andSqwuggies ($9.99) are specially formulated to float, and they'renontoxic. Visit saltypawsbiscuits.com or call 888/949-7297.
10. Bark Harbor, 200 Main Street, Bar Harbor, Maine
A Poodle Puff ($2.50) and other yummy treats from the BarkHarbor "barkery" will give your dog strength to browse throughnautical-print collars and leashes. The shop opens in spring. Visitbark-harbor.com or call 207/288-0404.