Coastal Pet Stores:
1. Pets Fifth Avenue: Boutique for Dogs & Cats, 130 Scenic Gulf Drive Suite 6, Destin, Florida
Jazz up your pup with jewel-encrusted collars, stylish bathing suits, sunglasses, and designer pet apparel from Pets Fifth Avenue. Only minutes from the beach, this upscale boutique offers edible treats in addition to fabulous beach accessories. Visit petsfifthave.com or call 850/837-5551.
2. Bark Avenue, 148-B Market Street, Village of Baytowne Wharf, Sandestin, Florida
Create a luxurious beach experience for your dog at Bark Avenue. Choose from tropical dog polos and bikinis or stylish palm tree-patterned carriers. Prices range from $2 to $3,200. Visit barkavenue.com or call 850/351-1851.
3. Outer Barks, Duck, North Carolina, Osprey Landing Shops
Overlooking the Currituck Sound, just steps from the shore, this shop specializes in unique items-from lifejackets and floating toys for your pup to paw-print glassware and artwork for yourself. Stop in for doggie daiquiris during late-afternoon "yappy hour." Visit outerbarks.com or call 252/261-6279.
4. The Pampered Pup, 119 Datura Street, West Palm Beach, and 4550 PGA Boulevard Suite 109, Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
Treat your pet to a new wardrobe before hitting the coast. Hawaiian-print shirts, nautical collars, and life jackets may not be beach necessities, but they certainly keep your pup fashionable. Visit thepamperedpup.com or call the West Palm Beach location at 561/833-9948 or the Palm Beach Gardens location at 561/625-8088.
5. The Doggy Bag, 34904 Emerald Coast Parkway Suite 126, Destin, Florida
Mix holistic dog treats with swanky pet apparel and you have this upscale pet boutique only blocks from the beach. Call 850/837-9833 for more information.
6. The Dog Bar, 723 N. Lincoln Lane, Miami Beach, Florida
Doggie tank tops, sun visors, even "beach boy" and "beach girl" T-shirts are available at The Dog Bar. The brightly colored Bettie Fetch Toys ($17.99) will keep you and your dog playing for hours. Visit dogbar.com or call the Miami Beach location at 305/532-5654 or Coral Gables' at 305/441-8979.
7. Muttropolis, 227 South Cedros Avenue, Solana Beach, California
As the dog days of summer approach, choose from Palm Beach T-shirts ($36-$39) and Island Fun Dog Toys ($20) to keep your pooch cute at the coast. Visit muttropolis.com or call 858/755-3647.
8. Pawki's Pet Boutique, 109 N. Beach Road, Eastsound, Washington
Stop in for fun beach toys by Ruff Wear and patterned floating toys by Katie's Bumpers. Don't forget to grab a gourmet dog treat for Fido on your way out. Visit pawkis.com or call 360/376-3648.
9. Salty Paws Biscuits, 3723 N. Croatan Highway, Kitty Hawk, North Carolina
After a long day at the beach, reward your pup with a Lolli-PAWps ($1.25), or choose from an assortment of homemade dog treats. Beach items such as Water Loopies ($8.99-$10.99) and Sqwuggies ($9.99) are specially formulated to float, and they're nontoxic. Visit saltypawsbiscuits.com or call 888/949-7297.
10. Bark Harbor, 200 Main Street, Bar Harbor, Maine
A Poodle Puff ($2.50) and other yummy treats from the Bark Harbor "barkery" will give your dog strength to browse through nautical-print collars and leashes. The shop opens in spring. Visit bark-harbor.com or call 207/288-0404.