Halloween in Gig Harbor, Washington, doesn’t just mean candy for the kids; it means a beach party for all.
Photographer Thayer Gowdy
For canine costumes, visit funnypet.com. At this beach bash, even the pets get into the spirit.
Keep clicking for recipes.
Cook: 20 minutes
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 (1.7-ounce) package chili seasoning
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (15.25-ounce) can yellow corn, rinsed and drained
2 (15-ounce) cans chili beans, undrained
1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Toppings: Hot sauce, chopped onions, sour cream, shredded Cheddar cheese
1. Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and next 3 ingredients; sauté 5 minutes or until tender.
2. Stir in chili seasoning and next 5 ingredients. Cook 15 minutes or until heated through. Stir in parsley. Serve with toppings, if desired. Makes 11 cups.
Note: This is best made ahead (up to three days) so the flavors can meld; add parsley just before serving.
Cook: 30 minutes
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
4 large eggs
1 (14.75-ounce) can creamed corn
½ cup (2 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
½ cup (2 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
4 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1. Beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer; beat in eggs, 1 at a time. Stir in corn and cheeses.
2. Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; stir into butter mixture. Pour into a buttered 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
3. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Makes 8 servings.