Roots run deep here—an English family first settled the property in 1638. (Their burial ground still sits among the lilacs.) When Calvin and Marion Hosmer bought the land in 1948, they built a Georgian-style stone house and designed 4 acres of garden around it. Marion deftly sculpted the grounds for 45 years until her death in 1997, when her son and daughter-in-law, Calvin and Cynthia Hosmer, continued her work.
Fruit-bearing trees—Cortland apples, kousa dogwoods, crabapples, plums, and pears—give depth and contour to the expansive lawn, and a natural wall of shagbark hickories takes the brunt of the Atlantic winds.
Her westerland roses (pictured) add beautiful color to her cutting garden, as do her poppies. She picks poppies in the morning when they’ve just opened, singes the stems, and plunges them into warm water.