These tools are the pumpkin carver’s best secret. Not all are required, but they make the experience easier and more enjoyable. For fresh pumpkins, use wood carving tools to cut the outline and dig out the design. Find them in the hardware section of home improvement centers.
- Tape: for fixing template to pumpkin.
- Push pin: to poke the outline in the pumpkin.
- Rotary tool with bits for carving and sanding: use this to etch and sand out the center of the design.
- Drill with several bits: for simple circles like the fish eye and octopus suckers.
- Utility knife or saw: for carving the bottom hole.
- Flashlight or battery operated candle: for illuminating faux pumpkins.
- Paint pen: to correct mistakes.
- Eye goggles and mask: to protect eyes and lungs from particles and fine dust.