The Only Sauce You'll Need This Summer
This easy, summery blender sauce makes almost everything taste better.
It’s officially Summer Sauce season. When fresh herbs start popping up in gardens and at farmers’ markets, it’s time to break out your food processor and whip up a batch of this vibrant, verdant condiment to have on hand in the refrigerator.
A combination of three herbs—basil, parsley, and mint—makes the sauce incredibly aromatic and also more complex than your typical pesto. Simply combine the herbs with fresh lemon juice, a little garlic, salt, and extra-virgin olive oil in a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Store it, covered, in the refrigerator for up to two days. That’s it!
While you can use a fresh batch of Summer Sauce immediately, it tastes even better if you set the mixture aside for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to come together.
Related: Sausage Puffs with Creamy Mustard Dipping Sauce
Here are some of my favorite ways to use it:
- Drizzle on hummus, whipped feta cheese, or baba ganoush and serve with pita chips
- Stir into mayonnaise for a tasty sandwich spread that’s great on a tomato sandwich
- Combine with equal parts sour cream and Greek yogurt to make a tangy dip for crudités
- Use in place of marinara sauce on a pizza
- Toss with hot, cooked pasta and top with grated Parmesan cheese
- Swirl a bit on top of chilled gazpacho
- Use as a salad dressing for a Caprese salad, potato salad, watermelon-feta cheese salad, or mixed greens
- Use a dipping sauce or marinade for grilled chicken, seafood, or vegetables
However you use it, don’t miss your chance to make Summer Sauce. It’s a genius way to use up a bumper crop of herbs from your garden or the “two-for-one” special on herbs you picked up at the supermarket.
Originally published by Southern Living