Decorating Your Lighthouse
Top of the Lighthouse
To decorate upper lighthouse windows and walkway: Pipe icing along the edges of the lighthouse window and attach peppermint sticks. Pipe icing along base of windows and attach cinnamon candies. Pipe or glue pretzel or thin stick candy around perimeter of walkway; let harden completely before working any more on this area. Pipe icing on railing posts and attach licorice rope railing. (Hint: Place large gumdrops or stacks of cookies under the railing so it does not slip while icing hardens.) Pipe a small drop of icing on top of the posts and attach silver dragees.
- Railing along balcony: Meiji Luckystick
- Edge of windows: Bob's Sweet Stripes Peppermint Sticks
- Decor along windows: Ferrara Pan Red Hots
External Tower Walls
To decorate external walls of lighthouse: Spread a thin layer of icing on one lighthouse wall with spatula and attach gum candies to resemble bricks. Repeat with other walls. Let harden.
- Walls: Trident White Wintergreen gum and Dentyne Fire Spicy Cinnamon gum
Decorate the Cottage
To decorate keeper's cottage: Pipe or spread icing with a spatula on roof of house and layer flat candies for shingles, or use spatula to spread icing. Pipe lighthouse and cottage with additional frosting and decorate as desired. Top with icing "snow," if desired. Sprinkle with powdered sugar for a recently snowed effect, but remember it will not last long as humidity will melt the powdered sugar eventually.
- Roof of cottage: Necco chocolate wafers
- Posts along edges: Chocolate Hazelnut Pepperidge Farm Creme Filled Pirouette Rolled Wafers
Side of Cottage
Attach pretzel windows on house and door. Position doors in place and pipe to attach the lighthouse to the cottage.
- Shutters: Snyder's of Hanover Snaps, Nestle Sno-caps
- Shrubs: flat and large green gumdrops
Make the Wreaths
To make wreaths: Cut dried fruit rolls into thin strips and fashion into bows, pressing in center. Attach to yogurt-covered round pretzels with a small dot of icing.
- Wreath: Nabisco Mister Salty Yogurt-Covered Pretzels, Fruit by the Food (strawberry), Royal Icing
Make the Trees
To make trees: Spread outside of ice cream cones with green-tinted icing. Roll in colored sprinkles or attach silver dragees to resemble silver ornaments.
- Trees: Keebler sugar cones, green tinted Royal Icing, pretzel rods, Pepperidge Farm Creme Filled Pirouette Rolled Wafers for trunks, green and red sprinkles, silver dragees
Make the Topiaries
To make topiaries: Pipe around flat green gumdrops and insert into mini ice cream cones. Attach rounded gumdrop with icing. Let harden.
- Topiaries: Joy mini cups, large gumdrops
Candy Cane Light Posts and Dock
- Dock: pretzel sticks, mini candy canes, yellow Jujubees, royal icing
- Rocks along water's edge: Candy Store milk chocolate rocks
Note: Display your gingerbread creation in an area with low humidity. Spraying it with a thin coat of clear acrylic helps keep the candy color vibrant, but it will no longer be edible.