These Are the Beach House Essentials Our Editors Can't Live Without
The “Make It Pretty” Pro
When she's not dreaming up sea-and-sky covers or designing sets for photo shoots, Style Director Lindsey Ellis Beatty schools us in sunny style.
1. Tory Burch Gabriella Dress in New Ivory, $498
2. Serena & Lily Teak Sling Chair in Lido Stripe, $358
3. Charlie Sprout Fanned Out Large Bulbous Vase in Peony/Tangerine, $400
4. Business & Pleasure Co. Premium Umbrella in Vintage Yellow Stripe, $250
5. Serena & Lily Monaco Bar Cart, $498
6. Coleen & Company Sarafina Chandelier in Custom Farrow & Ball Wimborne White/Green Blue, from $3,675
7. Houses in My Heart: An International Decorator's Colorful Journey by Carleton Varney, $75
"Good music and strong cocktails."
"I don't know … Be prepared?! I stole that from the Girl Scouts."
"Every year, my college friends and I meet at the beach with our families. It's fun to watch our kids grow up together."
Favorite Kind of Beach Day
"Sit, walk, talk, sip, read, repeat. All day, with a break in the middle for lunch alfresco and a dip in the pool."
The Up-for-Anything Explorer
Travel Editor Tracey Minkin is never truly out of office: Her work begins when she's exploring hidden gems on far-flung coastlines.
1. SteamLine Luggage The Editor Sea Green Carryon, $560
2. My Lost Cuba by Celso Gonzalez-Falla, $24
3. Urban Outfitters Small Circle Straw Round Crossbody Bag in Neutral, $34
4. Natalie Martin Fiore Maxi in Mauve Zigzag, $330
5. Candy Relics Pineapple Mug, $42
6. French Truck Coffee Le Grand Coq Rouge Whole Bean, $12
7. John Robshaw Anjara Lotus Throw, $129
Tracey’s Trip Tips
How to Travel Like a Travel Editor
"If you step into a new place with fresh eyes and an inquisitive nature, the adventure just happens."
Favorite Beach Snack
"Crinkle French fries with a hefty squirt of ketchup across them."
Rookie Travel Mistake
"Staying put. There's nothing wrong with planting yourself in a groovy lounge by a beautiful pool with a view of the Caribbean, but if that's all you do, you should've just built a pool in your backyard."
The Salty Foodie
Food and Wine Editor Chris Hughes knows his way around a Maine lobster roll and shakes up a killer cocktail every Friday afternoon. Here, he shares his kitchen staples.
1. Schoolhouse Factory Light No. 5 Integrated LED in Factory Green with Galvanized Cage, $429
2. Cocktail Kingdom Yarai 500 mL Mixing Glass, $33
3. RVCA Delivery Long Sleeve Shirt in Cobalt, $49.50
4. Whataburger Fancy Ketchup 3-Pack, $19
5. Tronk Design Clarkester Bar Stool in Walnut/White, $530
6. Smithey Ironware No. 10 Cast Iron Skillet, $160
7. Vans Salt Wash Authentic SF in Corsair Marshmallow, $52
8. Todder Handmade Coaster Set, $30
Chris’s Trademark Moves
Cooking Pro Tip
"There's a certain energy in the kitchen. If you're stressed, your food will never taste good, so listen to music. I just made a yacht rock playlist."
Go-To Party Trick
"An Irish goodbye."
Never Travels Without
"Extra contacts. I lost my only pair in Jamaica one summer, and it traumatized me for life."
Summer Reading List
"When in Maine, read like a Mainer: Stephen King. I also enjoy a lot of travel fiction and nonfiction in the summer."
The Trend (and Table) Setter
She pulls together resort-ready outfits in seconds and twirls up island-inspired tables faster than you can say "aloha." See what Style Editor Rachael Burrow is currently coveting.
1. Jenni Kayne Rattan Picnic Carafe, $45, Highball, $20, and Tumbler, $16
2. A Touch of Style by Carlos Mota, $85
3. Beach Riot Leah High Tide Swimsuit, $145
4. Natural Curiosities Fete by Paule Marrot, $3,245 (framed, 56" by 44")
5. Ettika Amberwood Hoops, $30
6. CB2 Scallop Ivory Table, $899
7. Bungalow Rose Astatula Rattan Dining Chair, $320
Rachael’s Summer Crushes
"I'm dying to go to a surf camp in Sayulita, Mexico."
"Jeans and shoes are my kryptonite. In the summer, I wear white jeans every other day. And I love any kind of wedge or espadrille. I'm really into platforms right now."
"Anything frozen floats my boat—piña coladas and margaritas are my favorites!"
Beach Bag Must-Have
"I love a baseball cap, especially because I can wear it in the water."
The Beach House Hunter
An Instagram shot of a colorful bungalow with a zingy caption is Homes Editor Ellen McGauley's calling card. Steal her ideas for comfort and style.
1. Ro Sham Beaux Christine Table Lamp, $498
2. Sans-Arcidet Anuanua Green Tote, $250
3. Vintage Florida Serving Tray; etsy.com/shop/secondseed has similar items
4. Farrow & Ball Lotus Wallpaper in BP 2064, $285 per roll
5. Gabrielle Striped & Washed Linen Duvet Cover in Blue/Milk, $312
6. Hollywood at Home Cole Armchair, $2,195
7. One Kings Lane Asst. of 2 Saba Vases, $115
Ellen’s Signature Picks
Favorite Summer Tradition
"Pop-up trips. You don't feel as guilty buying plane tickets in the summer. You don't think too hard; you just go! Pretty soon, you're at a sidewalk café soaking up the weekend vibes of a whole new place."
"100! At least."
"Early '80s music: Huey Lewis, Laura Branigan, Madonna."
Beach House Goals
"A cedar-shingle cottage hanging off an inlet in New England. Bonus points if the floor creaks a little."