25 Coastal Kitchen Essentials
1. Glam glassware
Glassware that earns its spot on open shelving
- West Elm Ribbed Glassware in Dusty Rose, $16 for a set of four; westelm.com
- Jonathan Adler Pop Rocks Glasses in Yellow, $14 each; jonathanadler.com
- Iittala Aino Aalto Water Green Medium Tumblers, $22 for a set of two; finnstyle.com
- fferrone Dearborn Water Glasses, $70 for a set of two; fferronedesign.com
- Patina Vie Renesse DOF Glasses, $10 each; for similar: anthropologie.com
2. A citrus juicer
Cost Plus World Market Lemon Squeezer, $12; worldmarket.com
3. At least one retro-fabulous appliance
KitchenAid Aqua Sky Blue Digital Convection Oven, $280; crateandbarrel.com
4. Lively roman shades
Clarence House Aquamarine Fabric in Multi, available to the trade; clarencehouse.com
5. Beach plates
Beach plates (n): colorful, often striped servingware that lights up tablescapes at oceanfront dinner parties.
Isabel Halley Ribbon Plates in Mint Stripes and Sky Blue Stripes, $60 each; isabelhalley.com
6. A beautiful collection
Oyster plates, spatterware, and white ceramics all make fitting focal points.
Kilmarnock Antique Gallery Vintage Oyster Plates, www.virginia-antiques.com
A trademark cheese board arrangement that draws party guests in droves
Berti Boxwood Set of 3 Cheese Knives in Fabric Roll, $412; marchsf.com
Here, four floors that can handle you, your crew, your salt, and your spills.
Pergo American Era 5” Prefinished Hardwood Flooring, $5 per square foot; lowes.com
Cali Bamboo Fossilized 5” Prefinished Bamboo Hardwood Flooring, $6 per square foot; lowes.com
clé Modern Roman Holiday 8” by 8” Cement Tiles in Federal Blue/Nautical Blue/White, $7 per square foot; cletile.com
All Modern Acacia Valley Field Tile in Ark, $5 per square foot; wayfair.com
9. Whale cookie cutters
Sir/Madam Copper Whale Cookie Cutter Set, $50 for three; nantucketlooms.com
10. Natural light
Unadorned windows maximize natural light.
11. Drop-the-mic lighting
- West Elm Sarah Colson Pendant in Turquioise, $129; westelm.com
- Made Goods Marjorie Chandelier, $2,200; shopcandelabra.com
- Token Geo Pendant in Sky, $1,195; abchome.com
- Made Goods Maura Chandelier, $1,800; shopcandelabra.com
- Thomas O'Brien for Visual Comfort & Co. Katie Dome Pendant in Hand-rubbed Antique Brass with Seeded Glass, $357; circalighting.com
12. Cozy banquette seating
Ballard Designs Hampton Upholstered 48" Bench, from $479; ballarddesigns.com
13. Everything-safe mixing bowls
This bright, seven-color set is made from sustainable bamboo, but the bowls are as indestructible as plastic. So they can go pretty much anywhere (microwave, dishwasher, outside, oceanside …).
Bamboozle Pastel Nesting Bowls, $70; bamboozlehome.com
14. Wooden spoons
That age well as you do—beech, maple, or bamboo are tried and true.
Le Creuset Wood Tool Set, $75; williams-sonoma.com
15. Vintage Art
Don't overlook the power of good paintings or photography for adding character to kitchens. Framed artwork is a great foil for a kitchen's sleek surfaces.
Barware that is equal parts kitsch and cool.
17. Party perches
Barstools that bring the party!
More party perches
18. Area rug
A high-traffic, sand-hiding, great-looking area rug.
Alyson Fox + Hawkins New York Shapes Rug in Pink, from $75 (2' by 3'); hawkinsnewyork.com
19. Handmade pottery
Lauren HB Studio Formation Bowl in Turquoise, $96 (large); laurenhbstudio.com
20. A well-stocked wine fridge
Frigidaire 38-Bottle Stainless Steel Wine Cooler, $449; homedepot.com
21. A farmhouse kitchen table
Cost Plus World Market Wood Leona Farmhouse Extension Dining Table, $600; worldmarket.com
22. Counter intelligence
There are bound to be lots of cooks in the kitchen in beach houses, so choose counter surfaces that can take a beating and don't stain easily. Here are three that check all our boxes (including good looks!).
This gilded pineapple party spigot is a chic nudge for guests to help themselves.
UncommonGoods Pineapple Drink Dispenser, $180; uncommongoods.com
24. An oversize burner
Large enough for lobster pots!
Coyote Built-In Natural Gas Power Burner, $1,099; bbqguys.com
25. Cabinetry matches made in heaven
Seriously, eHarmony can’t do better than this!
- CABINET Cantley & Company English Inset Bespoke Cabinet in Pecky Cypress/Custom Wax Patina, pricing available upon request; cantleyandcompany.com + HARDWARE LuxHoldUps Satin Brass Drawer Pull, pricing available upon request; luxholdups.com + TILE Ann Sacks Calacatta Borghini SP 8" by 16" Marble Tile, $36 per square foot; annsacks.com
- CABINET Dura Supreme Cabinetry Homestead Panel Inset Door Style, $55; durasupreme.com + HARDWARE CB2 Marble White Disk Drawer Pull, $7; cb2.com + TILE Mats Theselius + Marrakech Design Raval Paralelo Tiles, $154 per square foot; marrakechdesign.se
- CABINET IKEA 18" by 30" GRIMSLÖV Door, $60; ikea-usa.com + HARDWARE Schoolhouse Electric & Supply Edgecliff Pull in Satin Copper, $34 (6"); schoolhouse.com + TILE SomerTile Antaeus Mosaic Floor/Wall Tiles in Mint Green, $10.61 per square foot; overstock.com