Ask a Designer: Jill Sorensen
Get the scoop on this California interior designer’s fearless, colorful style.
From the perfect curtain placement to the right rug size, Sorensen, founder of Marmalade Interiors in Santa Monica, shares her design ideas and can’t-live-without products.
Don’t skimp on ...
JS: Curtains! Pinch-pleated panels can add an air of luxury to your entire house. Always leave about five inches of width between the finial and the window on either end of the rod, so you can pull your drapes back without blocking any light or views.
Do you have a design pet peeve?
JS: Yes! I hate to see rooms with too-small rugs. It cheapens the entire space and can make it seem cramped. To be safe, make sure your rug is never less than 10 to 12 inches from the wall on all sides.
What’s the best way to make a statement in a bedroom?
JS: I love to introduce upholstered headboards. They’re easy to customize and are a fun way to add both print and color to your space.
What’s your go-to textile?
JS: I try to use velvet in every job I do—whether it’s on a sofa with great lines or a simple throw pillow. It’s a rich fabric that’s retro, modern, and classic all at once. It has texture and personality without having to rely on pattern.
We asked Sorensen to share the products and places she's loving right now.
- Garden Stools. "I use them as side tables or for extra seating." She loves: Emissary Lattice Stool in Yellow, $325; claytongrayhome.com
- Pink Sands Resort. "The beaches on Harbour Island are incredible." Rates start at $495; pinksandsresort.com
- Ball Chandeliers. "My favorite is the Tartufo chandelier by Currey & Co." $1,050; redefinedhomeboutique.com
- Ceramic Animals: "They bring warmth and character to a room." She loves: Z Gallerie Ceramic Elephant, $50; zgallerie.com
- Cotton Dhurries: "They're durable and affordable." She loves: Jill Sorensen The Mark Rugs, from $875; livelikeyou.com