Beach Reads to Inspire Your Inner Business Mogul
Who says beach reads have to be all fun and games? Use your leisure time on the coast to boost your creativity and inspiration this summer with these business-focused books.
Curated by Cheri Leavy and Whitney Long, co-founders of entrepreneurial resource The Southern Coterie (a.k.a. The Southern C), this list of beach reads for the business-minded is full of books sure to inspire and guide you on your path toward success, however you define it.
1. Chasing Slow: Courage to Journey Off the Beaten Path by Erin Loechner
In this book, Loechner writes about her path to happiness, and its not-so-occasional derailments, by way of the pursuit of a minimalist lifestyle—and explores what happens when these goals don't work out.
Check out The Southern C Summit’s Work + Wellness Retreat on 30A in October to see Erin Loechner, founder of Design for Mankind, share her story, plus media tips and tools, case studies, ideas, and examples for maximizing social media efficiency while maintaining personal sanity.
2. Present Over Perfect: Leaving Behind Frantic for a Simpler, More Soulful Way of Living by Shauna Niequist
This collection of essays by author (and self-professed beach bum) Niequist outlines her transition from living a busy life to living a life of meaning and connection, inviting readers to make the transition themselves.
3. Thrive: The Third Metric to Redefining Success and Creating a Life of Well by Arianna Huffington
In Thrive, Huffington—considered one of the most influential women in the world—argues for a revolution in how society perceives success, using as evidence the latest research showing the overwhelmingly positive effects of meditation, mindfulness, and more.
4. The Productivity Project: Accomplishing More by Managing Your Time, Attention, and Energy by Chris Bailey
Bailey records the results of his year-long experiments in productivity (first presented on his blog, now alifeofproductivity.com) in this book—consider it a guide to finally accomplishing more.
5. Lead With Balance: How To Master Work-Life Balance in an Imbalanced Culture by Donnie Hutchinson
Looking for work-life (or any kind of) balance? Let this book, by university professor, speaker, and executive coach Hutchinson, be a guide to finding time to work hard without sacrificing life’s joys.
6. Do Over: Rescue Monday, Reinvent Your Work, and Never Get Stuck by Jon Acuff
Aptly named, this book by author and public speaker Acuff helps readers call their own Do Overs in their work lives by developing the four elements of all great careers.
7. What If? and Why Not?: How to Transform Your Fears Into Action and Start the Business of Your Dreams by Jen Groover
Anyone considering an entrepreneurial venture is naturally plagued by questions and doubts, and this book by serial entrepreneur Groover walks readers, step-by-step, through the negative questions and to the positive ones that encourage growth.
8. Power Your Happy: Work Hard, Play Nice & Build Your Dream Life by Lisa Sugar
As the founder of top women’s site POPSUGAR, Sugar knows a thing or two about success. In this book, she offers an upbeat guide to work, to life, and to work-life balance.
9. DesignHER by Julianne Taylor
The first book from Taylor, founder and creative director of Taylor Burke Home, this coffee table book is a behind-the-scenes glimpse into the lives of women changing and shaping the world of home décor.
RELATED: The Ultimate Guide to Florida's 30A
10. Grace, Not Perfection: Embracing Simplicity, Celebrating Joy by Emily Ley
This guide by the creator of the Simplified Planner encourages readers to simplify their lives by seeking grace, rather than perfection, with how-to tips, tangible strategies, and more.
Photo: Cultura RM Exclusive/Bill Sykes/Getty Images