Discover the 10 best ways to enjoy Bermuda's blossoming food, drink, and shopping scene.
Always romantic, always pink-sanded, this Atlantic island is rocking a newly minted modern vibe inspired by the arrival of the America's Cup in 2017. It's the hottest weekend getaway going: Use these 10 insider tips to make it your best weekend getaway ever.
1. Hot Start: Locals dig the weekend breakfasts at Tribe Road Urban Eatery, especially the fried chicken and cinnamon waffle with syrup, hot sauce, and watermelon wedges. For a traditional Bermuda codfish breakfast, head to Prime's Place.
2. Daily Grind: Rock Island Coffee—with its rustic exposed beams, local art on the walls, and small-batch, house-roasted brew in your hands—is the island's undisputed coffeehouse of choice.
3. On the Water: Get America's Cup fever by chartering Zara, Bermuda Yachts's sleek luxury catamaran with decks as broad as villa terraces, to drink cocktails, explore coves, and watch Cup boats train or just the sun going down.
4. Hip Bites: Super sustainably minded and tuned in to the local catch (rockfish, wahoo, and mahi mahi), Devil's Isle Café leads the culinary pack for bright and flavorful small plates. Don't miss the Bermuda fish sandwich for lunch.
5. Secret Beaches: If you haven't tucked away at the intimate, cliff-hidden Jobson's Cove (pictured, top) on Bermuda's south shore, you haven't done Bermuda right. Two lesser-known and equally gorgeous neighbors are Southlands and Stonehole.
7. Artful Buy: The island's artisan scene is coming on, and the nautically inspired textiles, pillows, and paper products from creative studio nettleink are irresistible. Snag them, and more cool finds, at Urban Cottage.
8. Rum Drink: Everything star chef Marcus Samuelsson does at his Marcus' restaurant at the Hamilton Princess is delicious. This includes his Darker & Stormier, a super fresh take on the island classic.
9. Dream Dinner: Make one night an old-fashioned one: Dine under the stars and with your toes in the sand at Mickey's Beach Bistro at Elbow Beach Resort (pictured), Bermuda's only restaurant right on the beach.
Where to Stay: After a stunning renovation in 2016, the Hamilton Princess & Beach Club has maintained its legendary pink exteriors while lighting up its newly modern interiors (pictured) with a tour-worthy contemporary art collection. Is that Warhol's Queen Elizabeth overseeing your check-in? Yes, it is. (And for yachting fans, the Princess is the official hotel of the 2017 America's Cup.) Rates start at $479.