9 Questions about Charleston, Answered
Travel + Leisure announced their annual World’s Best Awards Wednesday, and, among the international bucket-list destinations, Charleston, South Carolina, was named the best city in the world and the best city in the U.S.
We can’t say we’re surprised—we’ve been huge fans of Charleston’s five-star dining, stunning beaches, and Southern atmosphere for years. But we know not everyone is as familiar with the city. To help soon-to-be fans of Charleston out, we’ve gone ahead and answered a few questions on how to get the most out of the world's best city.
1. Where should you eat? While you’re there, you have to try one of the best lobster rolls in America at 167 Raw. Eat at Bowens Island Restaurant or have a drink and enjoy some stunning views from the rooftop Pavilion Bar & Café. The Darling Oyster Bar is a newcomer, but also one of our favorites.
3. What should you do there? Check out Charleston’s Farmers’ Market, Marion Square and, later, shop around at Hampden Clothing or South of Market home store. See sea turtle hatchlings or visit the South Carolina Aquarium. Take a breather to sit and look at the harbor, one of the best in the country, or take a sunset cruise on the Schooner Pride Tall Ship.
4. What did we do there? Homes Editor Ellen McGauley took a look at some of Charleston’s most stunning homes and Travel Editor Tracey Minkin has some tips on how to experience Charleston like an insider.
7. You want to take a road trip there? Leave from Savannah, Georgia, and drive through the Lowcountry.
8. You can’t make it to Charleston? Try making food from the city at home.
So what are you waiting for?